A few weeks ago Matt Mullenweg announced Calypso, a project that’s going to bring about a new approach to WordPress. A team of more than 120 contributors have been working tirelessly for more than 20 months to bring the project to fruition, and it’s finally here!
So what do we know about Calypso? In Matt Mullenweg’s own words:
▪ Incredibly fast. It’ll charm you.
▪ 100% API-powered. Those APIs are open, and now available to every developer in the world.
▪ A great place to read, allowing you to follow sites across the web (even if they’re not using WordPress).
▪ Social, with stats, likes, and notifications baked in.
▪ Fully responsive. Make it small and put it in your sidebar, or go full-screen.
▪ Really fun to write in, especially the drag-and-drop image uploads.
▪ Fully multi-site for advanced users, so you can manage hundreds of WordPresses from one place.
▪ Able to manage plugins and themes on Jetpack sites, including auto-upgrading them!
▪ 100% open source, with all future development happening in the open.
▪ Available for anyone to adapt to make their own, including building custom interfaces, distributions, or working with web services besides WordPress.com.
Wow, that’s a lot to take in! The new launch promises near instant page loads, a clean interface, real-time updating and one simple dashboard for both WordPress.com and self-hosted WordPress sites with Jetpack.
So all that’s left to do is give it a whirl and let us know what you think!